2008-10-17

Reading

Throughout this year at IMD I've done something that I used to love to do but haven't done in a long time: read books! I used to be quite the bookworm but, somewhere along the way, I guess I decided that I just didn't have time for reading. During this year of intense study, however, I've turned back to reading as a great, portable, convenient way to balance out my life.

There hasn't been too much time for reading this year (Sleep usually wins out in the prioritization battle.) but I've managed to finish a few books outside of the many books, articles, and cases required for classes and projects:

Harry Potter e La Pietra Filosofale, the first Harry Potter book in Italian
The His Dark Materials trilogy (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass), an epic fantasy/sci-fi series inspired by the work of John Milton
Three Cups of Tea, the tale of one man's quest to change the world by building schools in rural Pakistan

In the interest of full disclosure, I listen to some of the books in audio form so that I can multitask during my cardio, but I don't think that's cheating--it's just being efficient! Next up on my list:

The rest of the Harry Potter books in anticipation of the movie release (November)
The Catcher in the Rye, which somehow I've made it almost 30 years without reading
Tolkien's major works in chronological order (The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings)
Myriad business-related books and articles I've accumulated over the year but haven't yet had the chance to read

Any other recommendations?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chinua Achebe's "Things Fall Apart" is a fascinating study of how what makes you successful one moment can doom you in the next. That and you'll just LOVE Okonkwo. Beautifully written and poignant. After that, try "Cry, the Beloved Country" which is similarly amazing and follows the regional theme. -Nick