2008-10-19

Bella Firenze

I'm checked in at my hotel in Florence. If this if four stars--as advertised at hotels.com--then my middle name isn't Guido! Oh well, no worries; it's a fine place to hang my hat and lay my head for a night. It's not far from the airport or from GE O&G HQ, far northwest of il centro. Needless to say, this isn't exactly the Florence I remember from when I lived here as a student! It looks like there should be time after my interviews tomorrow, however, for a quick trip into town before my late evening flight back to Geneva. Gelato? Bistecca alla Fiorentina? Chianti? All of the above? Only time will tell!

I'm off to dream golden dreams of how I will help GE change the world of energy--then hopefully convey said dreams to them tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bryan,

I really like GE Energy. GE is without a doubt the world's largest producer of wind turbine engines and provider of wind power (as I'm sure you know). They also have the premier water services division for helping provide the world with clean water. I think very few people realize the world is essentially running out of clean water - this may be the next great resource crisis area after energy. I'm sure they are doing lots of stuff with solar energy as well, but I don't know about that.

It also wouldn't be a bad time to get stock options in GE. Warren Buffett recently made a $5 billion dollar investment in GE, and he is generally the best investor who buys low and sells high. Plus you could go all over the world with GE, and it's a premier name to have on your resume.

Anyways, just my two cents. Sorry I haven't talked to you all that much recently - I have pretty much been lurking on your blog for a while though. Obviously working for Google in Europe would be bad ass as well.

Good luck!

-Alex B

Anonymous said...

I second Alex's comment regarding the significance and pending rarity of clean water. As ecosystem destruction continues to run rampant in some regions and the recovery in others will take decades, this is going to be a major resource crisis. A gallon of drinking water still costs more than a gallon of gas, which says a lot. -Nick