2015-06-02

San Diego Day 2

Friday in San Diego began early with a run along the water. My training plan called for 400m intervals but there wasn't a[n open to the public] track around for miles. Fortunately the sidewalk in front of the San Diego County Administration Center (Waterfront Park) happened to be almost exactly 400m long (with a little extra room to slow down). Who am I to spit in the face of destiny? I had a great run and managed to avoid collisions with other pedestrians.

After a day of meetings, I hopped the tram to the convention center, where I met up with Katie. We grabbed a bite at nearby Water Grill (an obvious tourist trap but not bad at all - great oyster selection!) before heading out to Coronado Island.

Here we met some longtime friends of mine for a drink at the iconic Hotel del Coronado. In a previous life I used to spend the 4th of July with them every summer so it was wonderful to see them, catch up, and introduce them to Katie. And yes, the patio of the Del is a pretty fabulous place for such catch-up!

Katie's sister and her husband flew in Friday evening so we joined them and went to see another old friend at the Belching Beaver Brewery. Although our party mostly enjoyed our beers, I was a little disappointed in the Peanut Butter Milk Stout. It wasn't bad; it just wasn't as epic as I would have hoped.

We wound down with dinner at Queenstown Public House, which had been recommended to us by multiple sources. My salmon was a little dry but all was forgiven when the side of bleu cheese sweet potato fries came out!

Day 2 in San Diego was another mostly work day but, now that we were accompanied by partners in crime, the scene was set for an all-play Day 3!

No comments: