2010-05-12

New Orleans

Last weekend was spent at a bachelor party in New Orleans--what a blast! Of course what happens at a bachelor party stays in the bachelor party BUT I can blog a bit about some aspects of the weekend.

I flew in Thursday evening and immediately it was great to be surrounded by friends from high school and middle school. I played little league baseball with some of these guys and high school football with others, making it a great environment for a "reunion."

Thursday night was classic bachelor party stuff on Bourbon Street, finishing up around 6 AM. Due to the oil spill in the Gulf I set it as my mission to eat as much Gulf Coast seafood as possible so many oysters and shrimp met their demise that night. Friday morning began in the afternoon with oyster po' boys and bloody marys at Mother's. Friday afternoon I worked, worked out, and met another friend of mine at the House of Blues for an event hosted by the Entrepreneurs' Organization. This was, of course, followed by more bachelor party stuff.

Saturday I arose pretty early to meet a friend at Brennan's for brunch--so delicious! I had a cajun bloody mary, crawfish bisque, poached eggs a la nouvelle-orleans (in a sherry cream sauce with lump crabmeat), and crepes fitzgerald (basically strawberry blintzes). What a way to start the day. For lunch we all made a pilgrimage to Central Grocery to dine on the original muffuletta. Saturday night was dinner at Lüke (Swiss fare) and more bachelor party shenanigans.

Sunday came too early and I caught my flight back to Houston. On the way to the airport we passed a taxi pulled over on the side of the highway so the passenger could throw up. Although it seemed very appropriate for New Orleans, I was very glad that it wasn't I!

I've always liked New Orleans, from the first time I went there to play (and beat!) Tulane in the Superdome to Mardi Gras (Once was enough for me.) to business meetings to bachelor parties. That city's had a rough go of it but it's about the most distinctive city in the US. There is so much more to it than just Bourbon Street--fine dining, music, art, antiques, museums, and culture. This was a great trip and I look forward to my next visit!

No comments: