2008-03-16

Oh What a Day

Yesterday was one of those days that made all of us glad we chose a program in Lausanne. It was around 60 degrees F, sunny, and absolutely beautiful. The flowers were blooming, the birds were chirping, and it truly felt like spring. I went for a run along the lake but had to keep stopping to take pictures, one of which I added in my FaceBook album. I wasn't the only one with that idea and it was great to see everyone else out running, walking, roller blading, sitting, picnicing, and otherwise enjoying the weather.

I've thought before that if there were one thing Lausanne could do to endear itself to me more, it would be to seem more Tolkienesque. Yesterday it checked that off its list. As the hot sun bore down directly on the cold water of the lake, mist rose from the surface, creating a transluscent shimmer between me and the mountains on the other side. It made me want to do the Misty Mountain Hop so I listened to Led Zeppelin IV during my run--not a bad way to spend a Saturday afternoon!

Today it is raining and I've been inside working all day, which gives me plenty of time to ponder my birthday next week. I can't believe I'll be 29--another year closer to the big 3-0! So far every year of my life has been better than the previous, so I have high expecations for this one. Interestingly, this is the first time in my life that my birthday has fallen on Easter Sunday. The last time it happened was 1913--a little before my time--and, not withstanding some miracle of medicine, it won't happen again in my lifetime. I suppose I'll have to savor it!

1 comment:

Tim Danner said...

For some reason, I had in my head that you were at least a year older than me. Now I learn that you are exactly one day younger! Happy birthday, and enjoy the awesome scenery.